Well, since we first found out that Allen was deploying, my Dad has continuously thrown out offers to fly Hannah and I back out to Hawaii to stay with them throughout the duration of the deployment. I usually laugh and reply "Oh Dad, thank you, but no thank you.".
Every time, I just envision the torturous hours on a tight, busy, loud air plane with a restless 3 year old. It's enough to make me nauseous, just thinking about it. But as the last 5 and a half weeks have passed, the deployment seems to get harder, rather than easier. And this being our second deployment, I thought I'd have a better handle on it, but I've found my self sometimes overwhelmed and, frankly, rather depressed over the last several weeks.
Our first deployment experience seems to have been much easier than this one, so far. I think I can truly credit that to being with my family...and in Hawaii. Living in a house alone with a 3 year old is a much different experience than living with 3 (nearly adult) siblings and your parents. So, although chaotic, it was also a much-needed comfort, being there. And let's face it. Hawaii. Need I say more? ;)
Well, last night I mentioned that I have been thinking about Dad's requests a lot lately to my Mom, while we talking on the phone. (And yes, they've gotten to be "requests" now rather than "offers". He misses his favorite daughter so much...Okay, fine. Maybe it's his granddaughter that he's really missing the most... -.- ) Her reaction surprised me. Normally, my Mom is a little more level-headed when it comes to us children than my Dad. (My Dad is a total door mat when it comes to us kids. Haha! And I love that about him.) She suddenly sounded super giddy. She was going to see Hannah and I, regardless, because she had planned to come visit in a couple months. My random mention of it became a set-in-stone plan within 5 minutes. We were making phone calls, discussing logistics, and here we are...planning to leave for Hawaii in another 3 weeks. I'm thrilled!
This morning, I woke up, and found myself unusually chipper for the morning. (I am NOT a morning person.) I guess being able to look forward to all the month's ahead of you is something to wake up happy about. =)
As for the dreaded flights. We're taking it one step at a time. First, we're making our way to Seattle, where we will visit my brother and his family for a week or so. My Mom will simultaneously be there visiting. So, from there, Hannah and I can catch the same flight as my Mom back to Hawaii. It'll help break up the trip, making the torture a little more manageable. And on our way back home later this summer, we will probably stay in Southern California and visit with extended family for a week or so. Either way, it's still going to be one hell of a trip. There and back is about 40 combined hours of travel. That's a LOT for a 3 year old...on a plane...But I'm just going to prepare the best I can, breathe in and out when I feel the anxiety, and try my darnest to look at it (meaning the trip) as an adventure.
Once in Hawaii, I already have so many plans! There's so much to do! It'll literally be like another long term vacation. Although, through it all, I still miss my love desperately. But the loneliness and sadness in missing him won't sting quite as much when under such circumstances.
The best part? The part I'm praying will go according to plan...work out just right... I MAY have the opportunity to go visit my beloved Allen in *a place which shall not be named*!!!! Can you imagine my euphoria over this very thought?! To be able to see him half way through his deployment? It's on!! I will do everything in my power to make it happen. And, talking to my Dad about it, he's very familiar with what to expect and whatnot and seems to think it's very doable. (Time for a girlie screech. EEEKKKK!!!!!)
So, that's where we're at right now. This deployment just went from dull and boring to AWESOME. And all thanks to my sweet, giving parents. I'm so grateful for them. =)
Well, although I have a couple weeks before we take off, I've got a lot to do in those couple weeks. Will update again when I can!
Sounds like you have a fun month ahead of you! And I'm betting your parents are over the moon! And Hawaii. Wow, I don't think it's some place I would like to live but I definitely would love to visit at some point! And you are going to be in Seattle?
ReplyDeleteWe are about an hour from Seattle! We should do dinner when you come!
Awesome news ! Yayyyy ! I'm so jealous you get to see the family ! Please, give everyone my love when you see them. :D
ReplyDelete